Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Miss Allie strikes again!

I got to teach my first class today!  TEFL (the program I'm here through) has a 'basic module' that they want us to follow exactly, which includes a six-line dialogue with some interchangeable vocabulary about a given subject. My topic?  School (shocker, I know). Over the past week, I've been drawing and coloring sheets of paper with vocabulary words for the students, all in preparation for this one teaching session. Thanks to this rigid module, pretty much one conversation has been in my head this past week:
A: What are you studying?
B: I am studying math. [or science, art, literature, history, economics, music]
A: What will you do in class?
B: I will take a test. [do an experiment, draw, write a report, study, take notes, play an instrument]
A: What do you need to bring?
B: I need to bring my calculator. [ruler, pencil, pen, textbook, notebook, violin]
I feel like a live-action Rosetta Stone exercise.

And yes, I made them learn "violin" before any other instrument. Because I'm the teacher and in charge of their language acquisition, that's why.
AND IT'S BETTER THAN YOUR INSTRUMENT. I mean, no offense. But it is. 
And I know how to draw that one.  That too.
The class went very well!  Even Nati, a woman who wouldn't do anything in the first class for fear of messing up, volunteered to read what she wrote later in the class out loud. It was a really well-written paragraph about how she likes English, but is absolutely terrible and fears she will never learn the language. Kind of awkward to clap for Debbie Downer after hearing an 'I fail' diatribe. But it's me, so of course I did!

Boring post? Yes. Just wanted to remind you that I actually am doing something while I'm over here besides eating with tiny spoons, watching flamenco, and getting attacked by giant pigeons.

No comments: